N1S not driving anymore

Home Forums Issues, problems & cry for help N1S not driving anymore

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Suen GGYuan G
      Participant

Hey guys,

So after buying the 17282 DC for my NIU N1S, I quickly tried to install it without any instructions on how to do so or whatever. I plugged it in and it worked, however the “ready” button was constantly on and I couldn’t change modes so the mode was stuck to 3. I tried to re-install it a few different ways and in the process, I think I broke my NIU. It doesn’t accelerate anymore at all even with the original NIU controller and when I do try to do so it sort of breaks when you give gass. I believe there is something wrong with the electricity not being able to reach the motor properly.

Long story short: My NIU doesn’t drive anymore, because I probably short-circuited the motor somehow. If only I was just patient enough to wait for the instruction videos.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Suen GGYuan G.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Suen GGYuan G
      Participant

I have to add that, although it can’t drive, it still turns on/off, switch modes, etc etc. There’s just a problem with accelerating.

I tried to unplug and plug all the cables again and have tried with the correct set up for the controller and the original controller, but it all doesn’t work. I hope someone can help me out.

Eddy CurrentEddy Current
      Participant

Is controller LED flashing? If so you can look up the failure codes in this post:

My controller is blinking. What gives?

There is also a good but somewhat outdated technical manual on the Dutch NIU site.

Suen GGYuan G
      Participant

I checked out my controller and I do not have the issues that its blinking.

After I went through the NIU manual, I found my problem, “The motor rotates and stops intermittently.”;.

As soon as I hit the pedal the motor gives a little gass, only to be abruptly be stopped.  I suspect that its because my hall cable sensor is broken, although I have no certainty that it is. What is the best way for me to go fix it though? Go to the dealer and tell them I have a broken motor hall sensor? Or is there anything I can do myself.

The motor rotates and stops intermittently.
      1. Inspection of the battery pack voltage
      Check the battery pack voltage.
      Is the voltage at the critical under-voltage point? Is the battery in a bad condition?
      Yes – the battery pack voltage is insufficient
      The capacity of a single or multiple batteries is reduced
      The battery connector is in a bad contact.
      The charger failed
      2. Inspection of the startup switch
      Is the startup switch in a bad contact?
      Yes – the startup switch failed or the wire is in a bad contact
      No – go to step 3
      3. Inspection of the Hall cable sensor
      Is the Hall cable sensor in a bad contact?
      Yes – the Hall cable sensor failed or the wire is in a bad contact
      No – go to step 4
      4. Inspection of the power supply lock
      Is the power supply lock in a bad contact?
      Yes – the power supply lock failed or the wire is in a bad contact
      No – go to step 5
      5. Controller inspection
      Check the controller wire for bad contact
      Yes – the controller wire is in a bad contact
      No – the controller damaged

Eddy CurrentEddy Current
      Participant

You can test the sensors with a voltmeter. Like in this video:
      <h1 class=”fn product-title”><span style=”font-size: 12pt;”>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZHoF9S5u0E</span></h1&gt;

Suen GGYuan G
        Participant

Hey Eddy,

Thanks for the reply and I believe there is something with either the Hall sensor or the Motor cable being loose. Because I saw an error of 120 before on my screen, even though now it doesn’t give any error code. Is there anything I can do myself to fix the Hall sensor or loose Motor cable or do I just have to bring it to the dealer?

Eddy CurrentEddy Current
        Participant

Chances are that motor phase cables, the thick wires , are connected wrong. You may want to check if colors match those of your controller’s connectors. While doing that you can check the coils. Resistance of any pair of green/yellow/blue should match.

Suen GGYuan G
        Participant

I did notice that the aftermarket’s controller’s motor phase cables “connectors” were in a different order/sequence than the original NIU controller. Do you mean with that the cables could be connected wrongly, that I should connect the motor phase cables of the NIU in the same sequence of the original controller into the “new controller”? Currently, I connected all the colors of the NIU cables into the colors of the controller, so matching blue with blue, etc etc.

“Resistance of any pair of green/yellow/blue should match.”

Does that mean,  I can connect a green motor phase cable into a yellow connector as they have the same resistance, for example? Or would I risk short-circuiting the controller.

Thanks Eddy for your help

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Suen GGYuan G.
      Eddy CurrentEddy Current
      Participant

No, deisconbnect green, red and blue wires from controller. Measure Ohms between green and blue wires, green and yellow, blue and yellow. Should all be similar values, probably way below 100.  If not, one ore more coils are shortened or disconnected.

If there is any defect’in the motor you will need to have it replaced.

Suen GGYuan G
      Participant

It turned out that the motor was defect and I had to get it to be replaced, thanks for the help.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.